I came across an incredibly important document recently: Year-Round Congregational Stewardship: Six Best Practices
My first reaction was this – if you follow that list, you will see an increased generosity among the constituents in your congregation.
Here they are:
- Operational Management – Sound Fundraising Methodology
- Stewardship Integration in Worship – “Stewardship Every Sunday”
- Stewardship Formation – Create a Culture of Gratitude and Generosity
- Stewardship Leadership – Leadership Development and Support
- Spiritual-Nurture Opportunities
- Engagement on Social Justice Concerns
What I like about this paper (you can tell something about me when I say this!) – they back up their best practices with numbers.
- “Congregations that offer personal-finance training experiences 25% higher per capita giving…”
- “Churches with clergy and lay members involved in wider church roles… experienced per capita giving around 50% higher than most United Churches.”
- “Per capita giving in all United Churches with five or more social justice commitments (in addition to financial) was 18% higher than in most United Churches.”
Those are numbers I can feel! How about you?
We’ll unpack these more in the next several weeks.